Saturday, July 2, 2016

Overheard at Best Buy #1

This exchange happened years back before Best Buy started thinking themselves to be a cell phone store.

Sales Drone: How may I help you?
Me:  I'm looking for 1GB of DDR2 RAM.
Sales Drone: *very smugly* Well, DDR2 is pretty new and I doubt your computer can use it.  What brand is it?
Me: I built it myself this weekend, it doesn't have a brand.
Sales Drone: All computers have a brand. It's usually right the front of the case.
Me: Yes, the manufacturer of the case is written on the front. But that doesn't change the fact that I built the system.  And the motherboards manual clearly states it takes DDR2.

This back and forth goes on way longer than necessary until I tell him point blank that if he doesn't want the sale I can walk 2 doors down to CompUSA and I'm sure they'll gladly sell me what I need.

So I get the RAM finally, take it home, and it works perfectly in my new build.  I wonder if their sales people today know more about cell phones than they did about computers back in the day?

Edit: I better make this Overheard at Best Buy #1.  There's no way it can be the only one.

No comments:

Post a Comment